Towards the beginning of last month (4/8 through 4/11) I went to visit Earlham, to see all my friends who were graduating before they graduated and I didn't see them for a while, but also to see friends who had been abroad in the fall, and basically anyone else that I could see that I knew. I didn't know this when I planned the trip, but that weekend also happened to be the weekend of the opening of the senior art show, so it worked out pretty well. I have several friends who are art majors who are graduating this year (in exactly a week...how scary is that?!?!?) so it was fun to see them and their art.
I arrived on thursday (4/8) and had to take a cab from the airport to EC (which wasn't really a big deal except for the cost which was like $90). I had to program the cab driver's GPS for him, which I thought was a little funny. No matter where I go I never seem to get a cab driver who knows where he's going. ::SHRUG:: I was staying with Ilana (my roommate from the spring of last year) so when I arrived at EC I went to her room. I wasn't expecting her to be there, but surprisingly she was. She was getting ready to go to a meeting for her Ford Knight project (if any of you read the Earlham blogs, it's the same one that Mandi's in...the one with Ana Cornide) so we stopped at the coffee shop and I got a wrap.
On friday I woke up and went to Tim Horton's for breakfast, where I had a muffin and OJ for breakfast, and then I purchased two cases with 40 Timbits each (for those of you who don't know what timbits are, they are Tim Horton's version of munchkins or donut holes)for later to surprise Bill and the choir with. When I got back Ilana still hadn't left for her class yet. It was in LBC (the Landrum Bolling Center) so I went with her to see if my advisor was there and I could talk to him. It turned out that he had a class, but I asked him if I could sit in on it and he said yes. It kind of made me feel like I was a student again. It made me wish that I was already back in school. Friday for lunch I ate my only meal in Saga for the whole weekend. I had pizza and pasta. I can't really say that I missed that.
Friday afternoon I went to choir, Timbits in hand. Luckily before I got to the Hancock room where choir is usually held, I got a text from my friend Lauren, saying that they were in Goddard Auditorium, which is on the other side of campus in a building called Carpenter. I hurried across campus, and by the time I got there the choir was warming up. I got to sit and listen to them (Bill made them say hi to me in high pitched voices as part of their warm-up, which surprised me a little). My friend Nick was there visiting for the weekend too. He was also in choir so he came to sit in on the rehearsal. At first he was sitting up in the balcony, but then he came down to sit with me. Friday for dinner we were trying to figure out what to do. I wanted to go out, but Ilana does not have a car on campus. Nick offered to go with us, and Erin came too. We went to IHOP and I got a nutella crepe, but was not able to eat the whole thing, so I saved it and ate it on saturday for breakfast.
On Saturday I went to my first rugby game ever (I never went to rugby games while I was a student, even though some of my friends were on the team) and I got to hang out with Phoebe, who was also there for the weekend, because her boyfriend is on the rugby team. It was really fun and interesting to watch, especially when our team won. For lunch there was "Heart Attack", also known as they were serving hamburgers and hot dogs on the heart with music and ice cream and stuff. I got to hang out and see all kinds of people (Including Hannah, Maia, Kyla and Carolyn, among others) some of whom I hadn't seen in a while and some of whom were graduating or visiting or working for Earlham. I ended up spending about 3 hours in the sun on the heart, just chatting with people, and my face got really sunburnt!! Saturday night Ilana and I ordered a pizza from Domino's and walked to pick it up. Then Erin and I went to see Othello which was being put on by the fine arts department. Several of my friends were in it, and it was really good. After Othello I went to the coffee shop to get a smoothie, and I hung out with my friend Josh for a while. There was a concert in the Comstock room that I checked out for a little while before leaving to settle in for the evening and go to sleep.
Sunday was the highlight of the weekend. I woke up and went to brunch with Michelle and Lara (Michelle was my roommate from the fall of last year, and Lara is one of her really good friends from home who she went to high school with and it just so happened that she decided to go to Earlham as well). We went to 5th Street Bagel and I got a pumpernickel bagel with strawberry cream cheese. We got back just in time for the opening of the art show. There were all kinds of pretty paintings, photos, tapestries, metalworks, and ceramic pieces in both Ronald Gallery (in Lilly Library) and Leeds Gallery (in Runyan Center). Erin and I left at 3 PM to go to the airport so I could fly back to NJ and have a day to recover before leaving for Key West (which will be the subject of my next entry in here).
It was great to be at EC and not have work or have to get up early to go to classes, but at the same time it was a little weird. I felt comfortable and completely at home, but everyone kept asking me what I was doing there.
I don't really have much else to say on this subject, except I want to congratulate all my friends who are graduating in exactly a week. I can't believe it's been exactly a year since I graduated!!!
That's all for now. More soon.
--Emily
No comments:
Post a Comment