Saturday, February 6, 2010

New York City and New Friends :D

Today was fun!! I went into the city with my mom and Ben because one of Ben's friends from camp was having his birthday party at the Hard Rock Cafe in Times Square. The party started at 11:30 AM, but we took a 10:00 AM train, and got into the city at 10:47 (super early :D). We went to the Hard Rock Cafe and just hung out and looked around the store and then went downstairs to right outside the actual restaurant part, where they have all kinds of rock memorabilia. Literally the first thing you see when you go down the stairs is a huge picture of the Beatles (my favorite band of all time) with four outfits that they must have worn at one point, and four red TWA (the airlines) bags with their names on them. I didn't bring my camera, but I took pictures with my phone. Maybe I'll see if I can e-mail them to myself and then maybe I'll post them here. Anyway, Mom and I waited with Ben until his friends arrived, and then we went to meet my aunt and cousin for lunch. We met them at Sarabeth's (E. 92nd and Madison, I think) but it was pretty crowded, so we decided not to stay. There was a cute little french bistro across the street called Pascalou (I think that's how you spell it) so we decided to go there instead. I had a hot chocolate (which was actually not very good) and a Croque Monsieur (sp.?) which is just a grilled swiss cheese and ham sandwich. It was pretty good. Afterwards, we went to a store called Blue Tree (I think). They had jewelry, clothing and houseware stuff (i.e. funky vases, salt and pepper shakers, pillows, comforters, etc), which was all really pretty, but really expensive, so we decided before we went there that it was just going to be a "museum".

Mom had told me about a nail salon that said aunt had told her about and where she (my mom) had gone once with one of her friends, and she had been promising me that we could go there for a while, so she made appointments the other day, and after Blue Tree we said goodbye to my aunt and cousin and went there. The place was on E. 90th between Lexington and Park, so we just walked. The manicures were very relaxing, and took about 40 minutes (waaay longer than any manicure I've ever gotten, but it was sooo worth it). A lot of the ladies in the nail salon spoke Spanish / were from Mexico. I was talking with the lady who was doing my nails, and her accent sounded Latin American to me, so I asked her where she was from and she said Mexico. I don't remember exactly where in Mexico she said she was from, but I told her that I had spent a semester study abroad in Mexico (Cuautla, in the state of Morelos, to be exact, but if you're reading this and you know me, then you probably already knew that) and she said that she has a sister-in-law who lives in Cuautla. I think she said her sister in law lives in Colonia del Hospital. I'm not exactly sure where that is, but I told her my host family lived in Colonia Plan de Ayala, and she seemed to have at least heard of that. We were talking in spanish for a while, which made me happy. Any chance I get to speak spanish nowadays is always good. Speaking spanish is definitely a skill that I never want to lose. I feel like my knowledge of spanish has kind of decreased / there are things I don't remember / it takes me longer to remember things that I know this past year since I graduated from EC. I really hope that when I go to school in the fall I can get a field placement somewhere where spanish is spoken a lot, or maybe just take a spanish class or something like that. I really need to keep up with it if I don't want to lose it.

Anyway, back to the topic of this entry (in case you couldn't tell, I love to side-track...LOL). After our manicures we took a cab back to the Hard Rock Cafe to pick up Ben. When we went to drop Ben off, Mom promised us each that we could get something from the store before we left. I found a really cute hat and a duffel bag that I wanted, so mom paid for the duffel bag and I paid for the hat. Ben got a sweatshirt, and Mom got bracelets. The girl who was ringing us up was really cute and she looked young and she had an accent that sounded British to me (FYI: anything with 2 legs and an accent = LOVE, but it has to be a certain kind of accent, i.e. British, Scottish, Irish, Australian, South African, or Spanish / Mexican. I don't like French, Haitian, German, or Russian...i.e. accents where if they are really thick I can't understand what you are saying) so I asked her where she was from and she said England. She had said something about just singing with her boyfriend while he played the guitar before coming to work, and then she mentioned that she just joined a band recently, and they were going to be doing a gig in NJ sometime in the near future and she gave me her name (she has a facebook profile and she told me to look her up) and the url for the band's website. If any of you want to check it out, it's www.hotmess411.com. Ummm...in short, I LOVE NYC because of it's crazy awesome diversity, and I can't wait to live there in the fall!!! :D As of right now I'm still waiting to hear from Hunter and NYU, but hopefully I'll hear from them soon and can make my decision as to where I want to go. Either way, I will be in NYC, I just want to hear already so I can make my decision and start finding out where I'm gonna live and what classes I'm gonna take in the fall. I'm actually starting to kind of miss school, now that I have almost nothing to do (I quit my job at Arturo's--finally--yesterday. I had known that I wanted to for several weeks now, but couldn't get up the motivation / energy to actually do it since John passed away).

Ok...I guess that's all for now. More soon.

--Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment