Friday, March 19, 2010

Madame Tussaud's and Rain

Last friday was the birthday of one of my brother's friends from school. She was turning 17, and in order to celebrate, she wanted me, my mom, and Ben to go with her and her parents to Madame Tussaud's, the wax museum in NYC. We figured it would be a good idea, especially because it was supposed to rain, and the museum was inside. We quickly found out that we were quite wrong, however. Just because it was raining, did not mean that it was not crowded in NYC. It was also cold and windy, and while we were waiting in line for cabs to go to the museum (there were 6 of us so se had to take 2 cabs) my umbrella blew inside out twice (this was the umbrella that my aunt Becky had given me back in january when I went to visit her and my cousin Sarah in Cali--It's light blue and has the Paul Frank monkey, Julius, on it and it says "Paul Frank is your friend". Usually it makes me happy because I love Paul Frank, but on this day I was scared that it was going to break because of the rain and all of the wind so actually I was kind of sad. My mood quickly changed once we got to the museum, tho).

We had a lot of fun taking pictures of and with all kinds of celebrities (everyone from Pablo Picasso and Albert Einstein to Shakira and Julia Roberts--for pics check my facebook profile). We had a dinner reservation for 5:30, but we got done in the museum around 3:30. We tried to walk and find a place to just sit down and eat a snack before dinner and be out of the rain, but we were unsuccessful. We ended up just going to the restaurant and having an early dinner (I wasn't very hungry, so I just had some minestrone soup and a salad. Ben got a personal pizza and only ate one slice of it, so we brought it home and I ate a slice that night and the rest the next day--it was, basically just bread and sauce, but it was REALLY good. :D

The hardest and probably least fun part of the day was trying to get back to NJ. When we got to the train station they were announcing that NJ Transit trains were temporarily suspended. We tried to go over to the NJ Transit part of Penn Station to see what was going on, but the people were packed in like sardines, and there was no way we could have possibly gotten any answers. We went back to the main area (where the huge board with the times of trains, the security desk, and all of the waiting areas are) and waited for about an hour before we decided to see if we could get two taxis to take us back to NJ. We walked out of Penn Station, and within 10 seconds a man approached us and asked if we wanted a ride. We had to bargain with him a little bit about the price (I wanna say he wanted to charge us like $200 but we got him to come down to $150--I think that's still pretty expensive, but whatevs) but eventually we were satisfied and all six of us hopped into his car (I sat in back with Ben, his friend, and her mom, and my mom sat in front with Ben's friend's dad--we were all a little squished, but I don't really think that there was a better way for us to get back to NJ at the time).

The rain definitely made this trip an adventure (and a tiring one at that), but all in all I think everyone involved had a good time and enjoyed themselves.

More soon.
--Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment