In case you couldn't tell, the subject of this entry is going to be NYU. Before I begin I just want to say that the people who read this should consider themselves very lucky, because I am posting more than one entry in the same day (and one right after the other, at that!!). The reason for this is because it's been about a week since I last posted an entry, and a lot has happened.
Ok. Back to the subject of NYU. I think I posted in here about how I got a call from the associate dean of the social work school at NYU and the fact that she wanted to meet with me. We met last tuesday, and she said the problem with my application was my essay. She said that it didn't have enough of what they were looking for, but she wasn't very specific, and I didn't feel like asking any questions because I was so shocked. I was not expecting her to say that at all. I had been talking with my aunts over the weekend because when I first got the phone call, I was really nervous, thinking about all the possible reasons that the associate dean of the NYU Silver School of Social Work might want to talk to me. One of my aunts said that it was probably because of my GPA (which was a 3.03, which is a little low for NYU standards, I think), and so that was what I was expecting the associate dean to say. I still don't really understand why she felt like she had to call me in and talk to me face to face if my essay was the problem. She said that she thought that it was a conversation that was better to have in person than over the phone. Frankly, I disagree. I would have preferred to have a conversation over the phone, or just get a letter from them saying something to the effect of: "We regret to inform you that you have not been accepted to our school" or something like that.
I was kind of upset by this and I tried not to show it (I was crying a little, and I told the lady that it was my allergies, but she said that she could tell that I was upset, and it was ok). It's not so much that I cared about the "name brand" of the school (and by name brand I guess I just mean the fact that NYU is an Ivy League school and it's supposed to be really good and to have that on my resume would be AWESOME), but (and I feel like I've said this before on here) their program focuses more on client and relationship centered social work, whereas the focus of Fordham's program is on social justice (you can still have a clinical focus, which is what I think I'm going to do...::SHRUG:: it won't be the same as going to NYU, but seriously...it's their loss. Honestly, who needs them?? Not me, that's for sure. I left the meeting and went to go find something to eat and sit in Washington Square Park and eat and call my mom and aunts and cry. I'm over it now, but I think at the time I was just shocked.
Fordham wanted me and accepted me from the beginning with basically the same essay that I sent to NYU with maybe some slight changes. I don't really understand what NYU's problem was, but I decided that I'm going to go to Fordham part time (it's only 6 credits a semester for the first year, so I'm gonna find a part-time job to do on the side, or maybe I'll do some volunteer work in the field of social work). I applied to live in their graduate housing, which is like 10 minutes from campus, but I haven't heard anything yet (I had to send in a $200 deposit and a copy of my acceptance letter to Fordham just to get a spot on a list for an apartment...we'll see what happens).
I think that's all for now. More later or tomorrow.
--Emily
Way to keep your chin up Emily. Fordham knew what they had in you from the the get-go and NYU is indeed missing out. I'm sorry the lady at NYU called you in to give you that news, when it would been much better to do it in the other ways you mentioned.
ReplyDeleteA nice update post for sure. Congrats on everythign with Fordham and good luck with grad school
Thanks, Zack.
ReplyDelete